Monday, August 30, 2010

How do you experience true life?

I was just reading through 1 Timothy and discovered something great.  I have read this scripture many times and it has hit me a little different tonight after Brittney and I talked about tithing not only our money, but our time as well.

You can listen to anyone as they talk about their life goals and dreams.  It all can be summed up to: everyone wants to live a happy life with plenty of money to supply their needs so that they can provide for their families.  It may not be true for everyone, but I'm sure for many.  And then comes the pursuit of happiness!  How do we experience this life where we don't have to worry about our needs or how we will financially support those needs?  Now we can look to Scripture. 

"Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable."  Wait.  If we can't rely on money then how can we have a secured future?  Keep reading.  "Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us ALL we need for our enjoyment.  Tell them to use their money to do good.  They should be rich in GOOD WORKS and GENEROUS to those in need, always being ready to SHARE with others.  By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience TRUE LIFE."  (1 Tim. 6:17-19)

Okay, so in order for me as a follower of Christ to experience blessings here on earth, I must not trust in money or earthly possessions to get me through.  I can't tell you the amount of people I have seen in my life who have been driven by the pursuit of money in order to gain happiness.  It looks many different ways.  But the bottom line is this - STOP WORRYING!  If you trust in the God who gave you your life on purpose, then it would make sense that God would also supply what you need to live - as any loving father would do!  Money can so easily take hold of our lives and begin to control our decisions.  Luke tells us that you can't serve God and serve money.  And verse 10 of 1 Timothy 6 says that the "love of money is the root of all evil". 

Here's what I've come away with:  to live life to the fullest, I must be generous in what God has graciously given to me.  I must be willing to give as God leads and trust that He will supply ALL, not some, of my needs!  Thank you Lord for being faithful and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment